BACKGROUND

Friday, March 2, 2012

It's Friday Buffet Piece

Furniture Feature Fridays
Tip Junkie handmade projectsThe 36th AVENUE
stylish once again
  • link up

Hello Everyone...IT IS FINALLY FRIDAY.



I have been down with the yuckies...but I am feeling better today.

It has been rough...The weather is BEAUTIFUL, and I have not felt like going outside...

I am finally feeling like posting.

As promised Monday, I have the final pictures of the Buffet.

As you remember it looked like this when I got it..

It was free from a friend and I was super excited to get it!!

I got started as soon as I got it, and did lots of stripping veneer and sanding the wood to a smooth finish.


And this is how it turned out after all that

 I was very happy with this result.

I still had some veneer to get off the drawers and doors.




 I had read online a procedure to do this, so I went to the $ Store and bought a cheap Steam iron.





I got an old cotton cloth and a durable paint scraper and got to work.

I was surprised; it came off rather easy.



I just steamed a spot for a few seconds, removed the iron and scraped the veneer...there were some places that gave me a run for my money, but I got it all off and the drawers were ready for sanding.
I wanted the wood grain to show thru and knew that I was gonna distress this piece, so I did not use a primer first on the raw wood. I decided on Valspar Paint. I just bought the straight off the shelf paint. Valspar Latex Enamel Satin Black.
Let me tell you, this is some wonderful paint!!!!!

This was after only *ONE* coat...ONE COAT!!!

I then started the distressing process. I only wanted a light distress and I wanted it to look like a Pottery Barn piece that I had seen.

I hand sanded it as to make sure not to take too much off.

 After all the sanding I used a wood stain pen to go over raw places I had exposed. This darkened the wood back some, it was not glaring you in the face...SMILE
I wanted to keep the original hardware so I cleaned it in Baking Soda and Lemon Juice with a dash of Peroxide. It came out very clean, and most the tarnish was removed. I was ok with what was left, I did not want it too shiny.

The doors are still IFFY. They have a bow in them and I am trying to flatten them back out...So I went and purchased two Black Baskets to fit in the spaces and the piece was ready for use.

I shopped my house to decorate and I am very Pleased with the OUTCOME
I also created some tags for my baskets, just to dress them up a bit.
I used some pretty paper and my printer to print the labels and then with a decorative cutter, cut them to size and attached to the basket with some black ribbon.

I went and cut some color for the dining room....I am so ready for SPRING!!!

And that is the finished piece. I know I will enjoy this piece for years to come. 

Link Parties

Photobucket Our Delightful HomeUndertheTableandDreaming DIY projects and craftsTip Junkie handmade projects Furniture Feature Fridays
Home Stories A2ZThe 36th AVENUEFunky Junk's saturday nite specialThe Girl Creativestylish once againToday's creative blog