Wednesday, May 2, 2012

New Chest Completed

I hope you all have had a great week...I have had a busy weekend and week...I have reduced my hours at work and so I have more time to work at home...WINK...WINK... Really I had to due to my health, but it does give me more time to piddle on things around here...SMILES!!

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was working on a new project...and that it was something like the buffet that I completed earlier this year....Well I finally finished it....A HUGH SIGH OF RELIEF....

I lucked up on this little auction in our town square one Saturday morning and found this little jewel sitting there waiting on me...Wink!!
I purchased a few pieces that morning...but SCORED this Baby for $10.00!!

I had it in our spare bedroom for a few weeks now...I just have been so busy with other things and well not feeling the best lately...

So this past weekend my Hubby was home for the weekend and I decided to take advantage of the help and get it out and get started on it...

As you can see, there were some issues that needed to be addressed...but for the most part, the piece was strong and came with the original mirror...
As I started sanding the small issues became larger issues and well in the end...I ended up removing all the veneer just like I did on the Buffet.
This was NOT an EASY CHORE. I was so grateful for the help from Hubby, he ironed as I scraped to get the TOP of the chest cleaned off...SMILES.
I had just redone an old cabinet that was in the barn for the Kitchen and decided that I wanted to put this little chest under the new I left the mirror off and just transformed the chest alone.
I used the same paint as I did before...Valspar Latex Enamel (Satin Black)...This is really good paint!!!!
knobs before and after rub & buff

On the hardware I decided to try something different. I cleaned with 409 and a toothbrush, and then when dry, I simply used some Rub & Buff in Antique Gold. I just wanted to enhance the detail in the knobs and pulls...In the picture you can see the before (left) and after (right) difference.

After the paint had dried, I distressed to match the buffet and reattached the hardware and the Little Beauty was finished...

I also covered the inside of the drawers with some really cute papers and modge podge...I did not get photos of this before uploading for this blog...Sorry.., but I can say..if you have the opportunity to do this to any of your turns out to be so cute...and a wonderful surprise for anyone who opens them...SMILES!!! 

Well it is late so I am going to turn in for the night...glad you stopped by...Remember I LOVE COMMENTS.....


Photobucket Keeping It Simple UndertheTableandDreamingTip Junkie handmade projectsFunky Junk's saturday nite special


  1. This is beautiful, I love the black!

    1. Tks Christina, I love the black too...if I am not careful I will have everything in my house Black....SMILES...Thanks for stopping by...

  2. Hi, stopping by from the Roadkill Rescue feature. I love painting furniture, and I love black painted furniture too. This one turned out so well and was a great deal too. Great job!

  3. Yikes, I hope my comment posts okay and only once. Your word verification had me re type the words 3 times.

  4. Thanks Elizabeth, I love finding deals like this one and making it Beautiful again...Glad you stopped by...Charlene

  5. reminds me of a dresser that i refabbed several years ago. yours looks great and was worth the hard work! love the details of the hardware.

    1. Thanks Judi Glad you stopped by...please come back..charlene

  6. How did you remove the veneer? I have a couple pieces with broken veneer that I'd like to redo.

  7. Roisin, if you will ck out the It's Friday Blog post, it shows how I removed the veneer on it and I used the same tech with this chest..a hot iron, lots of steem, cotton rags, and a good scraper..thanks for stopping by...charlene

  8. I love how this project turned out! Thanks for sharing this at my link party. I featured you here:

  9. Thank you so much Renee...I will give many shout outs!!!charlene


Let me hear from you!

Link Parties

Photobucket Our Delightful HomeUndertheTableandDreaming DIY projects and craftsTip Junkie handmade projects Furniture Feature Fridays
Home Stories A2ZThe 36th AVENUEFunky Junk's saturday nite specialThe Girl Creativestylish once againToday's creative blog