One of the latest projects I have been working on. I wanted to redo our bedroom. I finally got tired of the dark golds, and browns and wanted a completely different look.
I decided on Black and White with a POP of RED.. Well it has been a while in the making, finding the perfect comforter and drapes, bed skirt, pillow...etc...
Then it came to me...YOU HAVE A BRAND NEW SEWING MACHINE...MAKE WHAT YOU WANT....DUHHH!!!
I did find the perfect Duvet Cover at IKEA while I was in Texas...and also purchased a lightweight weight year round duvet insert to go inside....However there were NO shams to match, only King Size Pillow Cases.
I had purchased a nice heavy Black fabric to make the bed skirt and I knew I wanted the shams to match the duvet cover so I decided to use the pillow cases that came with it to make shams...Great Ideal Right...
Well I learned a few things in the process and also a few tricks as well...LAUGHS!!
I decided I wanted a mitered corner border out of the Black fabric and so I got to work measuring and reading, had never made a mitered corner before, and off to the sewing room I went.
These are the colors I decided to use on the Shams.
Pillow case for the front, Black for the border, and White for the back envelope.
I started ripping the pillow case apart and WOW I had a lot of fabric to work with.
This is my new Iron...I had to show you guys...I love this thing...if you sew or quilt...You will not be disappointed in this Shark Iron....
Jo Ann's Fabric, I use this a lot when making bags or anything I want to have some stabilization. I love this product.
The directions for the mitered corner says to attach the sides first leaving a 1/4" allowance at the corners. Then to add the top and bottom pieces doing the same...I found that leaving a 1/4" on the sides and then sewing all the way on the top and bottom worked better for me...it left me a crisp corner.
I know now I should of made my corners on the front fabric and when all were finished attach my back fabric to the border and that would cover the cut marks on the seams....HEY I AM LEARNING HERE!!!
Bad thing as soon as I cut I realized what I had done....*&^^((^%$
BUT being the crafty little thing that I am....I found a way to fix it...OMG I STILL CANNOT BELIEVE I DID THAT!!! In my defense it was late and my mind was tired...BLAH...BLAH...BLAH...HEY EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO A MAJOR ONE EVERY NOW AND THEN. LAUGHS!!!
|1/4" Seam allowance|
|LOOK CRISP CORNERS!!|
|sewing end first|
|finish by sewing down seam on corner|
I then cut my back fabric and hemmed one side that would be the finished edge.
Then I pinned the 2 pieces to the front **Right sides together** and sewed a 1/2" Seam all around the edges making sure to reinforce the corners.
I then turned and used my favorite tool to get the corners out crisp...A Crochet Hook...about medium size...Works Great!!!
You can see the corners worked great and the BOBO on the back is NOT Noticeable at all...WINK WINK!!
|This picture does not do these Shams Justice.....Sorry!!|
I used the remainder fabric to add to the pillow cases that go to the sheets..(just plain White Cotton) and so now they coordinate as well..
Now the Throw Pillows....
I had already picked out my fabric...so back to the sewing room I went.
|Upholstery thread / doll needle|
|Button making kit found at any craft store...or Walmarts|
|Black Cord Trim|
|Back side of panel pillows|
|Corded Trim made from left over fabric.|